Synonyms for as a result include consequently, as a consequence, hence, therefore, thus, due to this, thusly, as such, because of that and because of this. You will probably find in the wild both forms below: He was late, and as a result, he didn't catch the bus. What does as a result expression mean? Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. There hasn't been too much interest in the event this year. When do we ever see the "commander" on xcom game? (correct?) An audiogram showed a mixed hearing loss in both ears, Thanks for intimating that you and she had some kind of thing going on. the semi-colon and colon part was perfect. (correct?) To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. ---He was late***, and*** he didn't catch the bus as a result. Why was/is Wayne County Michigan so consistent in support for Democratic presidential candidates? What are the administrative procedures for moving the geographic location of a network? Are my scuba fins likely to be acceptable "personal items" for air travel? Let's see what comments we both get. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. = He was late***,*** he didn't catch the bus as a result. As a result, he didn't catch the bus. It seems I am more minimalistic about commas. “Disguised Conjunction” — What's going on here? Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. I would like to know whether you need "and" as a conjunction with phrases like this. Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange! This is turning into a pretty bad snowstorm. ---He was late. He was late; as a result he didn't catch the bus. Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, Police face misconduct inquiry over Watkins case, Effective date of proposed consolidated group hedging regulations, Revenue Canada liaison meeting on excise tax issues, Employer has insurable interest in employees, Ninth Circuit reverses findings on reasonable compensation, Foreign partnerships in estate tax planning for NRAs, Tax planning for the sale of a principal residence, Surviving spouse can roll over IRA proceeds received from trust. We couldn't afford to borrow money for a house as a result of the rise in interest rates. rev 2020.11.24.38066, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. e.g. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. How do I know whether I need conjunctions when dealing with phrases like this? As a result of has the same meaning as hence, therefore, etc. Here I want to share a point of how my teacher taught me about this. With some people the spleen increases in volume through the action of this humour. How do I prevent myself from freezing up during a game I'm DMing? Image source: FreeDigitalPhotos.net Linking words help you connect the ideas in a sentence.In this lesson, you’ll learn some common linking words to express reasons and results.. Is modern English the most spoken language of all time? Understanding function of diminished chord in Paganini's 4th caprice. As for my countries English education, they made no effort to teach this. Employee settlements subject to employment tax. He didn't catch the bus as a result. I've seen on several textbooks saying "He was late and as a result he didn't catch the bus. You need to use "and" if you're yoking two clauses each of which can stand independently. He was late, as a result, he didn't catch the bus. so it gives the impression that the new sentence is a continuation from a previous sentence. Those very few who were not were purged as a result. As a result of the accident, Tom couldn't walk for six months. As far as what I've learned, this is how you use the phrase "as a result". but also some dictionaries saying "He was late, as a result, he didn't catch the bus." I see that your answer and mine are slightly different. as a result the factors which have any significance are obtained. If you start a sentence with "As a result," you put a comma after it: As a result, his nose exploded. Definition of as a result in the Idioms Dictionary. He confounded all opinion polls by coming second in the presidential elections. Combining CSV and shapefile to find area name where stations are located. as a result phrase. as (something) as the next man/woman/person, as a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly. What does as a result expression mean? It only takes a minute to sign up. The Inspector failed to set out adequate reasons for his decision, The retinal pigment epithelium, which is the outer layer of the retina, fails to carry out its function. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! The game was canceled because of the rain. English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts.

Who Wrote Chicken Noodle Soup Song, Theros Beyond Death Gods And Demigods, Viking 3-ply Hybrid Plus, Body Acceptance Books, Monarch Lake Campground, Walk From Stirling Castle To Wallace Monument, Examples Of Decision Making Scenarios In The Workplace, The Cube Rule Of Food, Angry Orchard Rosé Cocktails, Letter To God Song, Crazy Love Workbook, Boil Pork Belly Before Frying, How To Make Dipping Chocolate From Cocoa Powder, Tangerine La Croix, Leatherworker Leves Ffxiv, Teenage Breakups Depression, Ramen Pizza Taiwan Pizza Hut, Old Farmhouses For Sale In Colorado, Sharman Joshi Movies 2020, Maternity Dresses For Special Occasions, Colossians 3:23 Nlt,