It's just plain good! The pie will seem “jiggly”, but a knife inserted into the center of the pie should come out clean. Homemade pie shells are great, but ready-made crusts are excellent if you aren't into making pastry or … Baking Parchment Paper - Set of 100 Half-Sheets, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, optional; for added flakiness, 3 to 5 tablespoons (43g to 71g) ice water, 1 1/2 cups (340g) milk (anything from skim to whole, your choice), 1 cup (227g) cream (heavy, whipping, light, or half & half, your choice), 1/4 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg. King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour - 3 lb. I'm Julie Clark, CEO and recipe developer of Tastes of Lizzy T. With my B.A. Also, it reduces the chances of cooking the egg as the ingredients are mixed). Also if you want to make it richer and really dress it up add an extra yolk and half and half or cream for some of the milk. Transfer to a baking sheet; bake in preheated oven 10 minutes. I love Custard pie but my attempts have never quite matched the one's at the pie-shop...until now. Southern Living is part of the Meredith Home Group. Beat your eggs slightly, then add sugar, salt, nutmeg, vanilla, and milk. Save time and use a store-bought refrigerated piecrust or use your favorite homemade pastry crust recipe . (With modern pasteurization, bacteria and enzymes are already destroyed, so scalding is no longer necessary. Use the Easy Pie Crust recipe on this site and you won't need to glaze the shell with egg white or roll it out. Scalding the milk helps to develop the flavor of the pie and improves the texture. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. 15 Thanksgiving Pie Ideas That Will Make You Forget the Turkey. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Save time and use a store-bought refrigerated piecrust or use your favorite homemade pastry crust recipe. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. In 2009, Betty Shimabukuro published a recipe for local style custard pie. In small bowl separate one egg white from egg yolk reserving both. Info. Once you’ve drizzled in the first cup, then slowly drizzle in the rest of the milk, whisking the entire time. Scald the milk in the microwave, heating it until just before boiling (to 180 degrees). Plain old custard pie? A simple but decadent Old Fashioned Custard Pie recipe. I just threw everything in the bowl, used a mixer for about 1 minute, poured it in the pie shell and popped it in the oven. Everyone has these ingredients on hand. I'm going to make this pie often. Add more water if the dough isn't coming together. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Because we respect your right to privacy, you can choose not to allow some types of cookies. Place the pie onto your oven's middle rack and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the custard is set at the edges but still a bit wobbly in the center. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. The temperature of the pie at the center should be between 170°F and 180°F. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes. Stir well. Roll piecrust into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. Every person who tastes this pie wants the recipe and says it's the best they have ever eaten. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Brush crust with beaten egg white and pre-bake for 7-8 minutes.